Head, Risk & Audit
Established in 1939, the Alberta Teachers’ Retirement Fund Board (ATRF) has provided exceptional administration for the teachers’ pension plans for Alberta for over 80 years. ATRF takes pride in delivering the highest quality service to more than 80,000 plan members.
ATRF currently has an opportunity for a highly skilled and motivated individual to join our Finance team as Head, Risk & Audit. If you are a strategic thinker with a proven track record in risk management and internal audit and have a passion to drive effective risk management practices, we invite you to apply for this impactful role.
The Head, Risk & Audit is responsible for managing and directing ATRF’s Risk Management program and the Internal Audit function. Reporting to the Vice President, Finance, this role is instrumental in leading key risk management and internal audit initiatives that assist to identify, assess, and respond to risks that could impact the achievement of ATRF’s strategic and operational objectives. This role serves as an independent and objective line of sight, providing assurance, and consulting activities for the Audit and Finance Committee of the Board.
Success in this role requires exceptional communication skills to articulate to stakeholders the “why” of performing risk management to gain buy-in and commitment, the “how” to empower understanding of the risk management process in their roles, and the “when” to ensure appropriate behaviours and activities are maintained throughout organization.
Qualifications, Experience and Capabilities:
- Completion of a 4-year university degree (undergraduate degree) Bachelor of Commerce in Accounting, Finance, Business or equivalent
- A minimum seven years relevant experience, preferably related to Enterprise Risk Management. Experience in the field of internal auditing, or compliance may also be considered.
- A professional designation in risk management or certification as a Certified Internal Auditor or similar certification is desirable (CIA, CRM, CCSA, PRM, CFRE)
- Strong knowledge of ERM, internal control and internal audit standards required (e.g. COSO, IIA and/or ISO 31000 frameworks)
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office. Experience with other audit and risk management tools preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to all levels of the organization including formal presentation skills and ability to translate communications from technical to non-technical based on audience understanding
- Detail oriented, analytical and the ability to think critically about complex issues
- Experience within Financial Services or pension administration industry preferred
At ATRF diversity is one of our core strengths. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected because of their uniqueness. We are an organization that takes pride in ensuring the people we hire and the culture we create reflects and celebrates diversity of thought, background, and experience. We offer a competitive compensation package, comprehensive benefits, flexible work program and an inclusive culture where you can be you!
Individuals interested in being considered for this role are required to submit a cover letter as well as a resume attention to Aurlee Crane, Human Resources Advisor to email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to successfully complete a background check including educational verification, criminal record and a credit check. This is a full-time continuing position and requires the incumbent to be located in Edmonton, AB.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.