Team Lead, Corporate Accounting
Established in 1939, the Alberta Teachers’ Retirement Fund Board (ATRF) has provided exceptional administration for the teachers’ pension plans for Alberta for over 80 years. ATRF takes pride in delivering the highest quality service to more than 80,000 plan members.
ATRF has an opportunity for highly skilled and dynamic accounting professional with strong interpersonal skills to join our Finance team as Team Lead, Corporate Accounting.
Reporting to the Controller, the Team Lead, Corporate Accounting plays a crucial role in overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Corporate Accounting team. The position is responsible for ensuring accurate and timely recording of financial transactions, maintaining compliance with accounting principles and standards, and providing guidance, coaching and mentorship to a team of financial professionals.
Key responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Lead the Corporate Accounting team, fostering a collaborative and high performing work environment;
- Manage day-to-day operations including accounts payable and receivable, general ledgers and reconciliations;
- Ensure adherence and compliance with accounting standards, regulatory requirements and ATRF policies and procedures;
- Collaborate with departments across ATRF to ensure alignment on financial matters and resolve accounting-related issues;
- Maintain knowledge and provide support on various system applications, such as JDE, RBC Express, and Hubble;
- Participate in the preparation of ATRF’s yearly financial statements and develop/enhance various related working papers such as lead sheets with supporting documents, forecast financial statements, year-end working papers, Asset Based Allocation reports, and capital asset schedules;
- Identify opportunities for process improvement in accounting operations and implement best practices to enhance the efficiency of the team
Qualifications, Experience and Capabilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- CPA designation or near completion is required
- Seven years of progressively responsible experience in corporate accounting supplemented with a minimum three years of experience leading a team
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Strong knowledge of regulatory compliance requirements
- Detail oriented, strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a commitment to accuracy
- Effective interpersonal and communications skills to proactively build and maintain strong working relationships
- Strong knowledge and experience in Advanced Excel and accounting systems and applications
At ATRF diversity is one of our core strengths. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected because of their uniqueness. We are an organization that takes pride in ensuring the people we hire and the culture we create reflects and celebrates diversity of thought, background, and experience. We offer a competitive compensation package, comprehensive benefits, flexible work program and an inclusive culture where you can be you!
Individuals interested in being considered for this role are required to submit a cover letter as well as a resume attention to Aurlee Crane, Human Resources Advisor to email@example.com The application deadline is November 19, 2023. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to successfully complete a background check including educational verification, criminal record and a credit check. This is a full-time continuing position and requires the incumbent to be located in Edmonton, AB.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.