Commonly Asked Questions

Featured Image

How do I change my personal information?

For instructions on how to change specific types of information like your name or beneficiary, please refer to the Updating Your Personal Information page.

When will I get my first pension payment after I apply?

You must first apply for your pension through ATRF. Once your pension application has been received, ATRF will inform you of the processing timelines as they pertain to your situation.

Once a package has been issued and you have selected your pension option, you can expect to receive your first monthly pension payment on the third last business day of the month following your pension effective date or the date ATRF receives your pension election, whichever is later.

Visit the Pension Deposit Dates page for a list of upcoming deposit dates.

How do I change my banking information?

If you are receiving a monthly pension and would like to change your banking information, the quickest and easiest way to do that is through your MyPension account.

More information about other methods of changing your banking information can be found on the Updating Your Personal Information webpage.

What is COLA and how is it calculated?

General information about COLA can be found on the Cost-of-Living Adjustments page. 

If you’d like to know more about how COLA directly impacts your pension, log in to MyPension for details.

I want to register for MyPension, but I don't know my ATRF ID.

You will need your ATRF ID to register for MyPension. It can be found on your Annual Plan Member Statement, Pension Information Statement, or any letters or packages that you receive from ATRF after April 1, 2023.

If you don’t have access to these documents, you can contact us at 780-451-4166, or Once you have your ATRF ID, please refer to this guide to register.

How do I change my communication preferences to 'go paperless'?

In order to set your preferences to digital or paperless, please log in to MyPension and select ‘Communication Preferences.’

You will be asked to choose which communication products you would like to receive digitally. If you would like to be completely paperless, ensure you have selected all of these options.

How do I notify ATRF of a death?

Refer to the Death and Your Pension page to learn about how to notify ATRF of a death, as well as what document will be required. This page also contains information about how a death may affect your pension, your pension partner’s benefits, or the benefits payable to your beneficiaries.

Does ATRF administer health benefits?

ATRF does not administer health benefits of any kind.

If you are actively teaching, please contact the Alberta School Employee Benefit Plan (ASEBP), or the benefit provider your school board has chosen.

If you are a retired member, there are a number of providers you can choose from including ASEBP or the Alberta Retired Teachers’ Association (ARTA).